Greek Lentil Salad
Warm lentil salad is a protein-packed alternative side dish to starchy potatoes or rice. For a pretty presentation, pack the salad in small ramekins, then invert onto plates and garnish with a cucumber slice and a halved cherry tomato.
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil (I cut this in half and it was still great)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Place lentils in saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, partially covered, 25 to 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender but not mushy. Drain.
- To make Dressing: Place garlic clove on cutting board. Sprinkle with salt. Mash into paste with side of chef’s knife. Transfer to bowl. Whisk in oil, lemon juice, and pepper.
- To make Salad: Toss lentils in Dressing. Cool to room temperature. Stir in cherry tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, and dill.