Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Carrots and Currants Salad

Today's raw recipe is another from Living Cuisine by Renée Loux Underkoffler. When I was reading the ingredients for this salad, I was concerned that it may be too sweet. But, Renée Loux really seems to be a master at balancing flavors to please the palate. This dish is quite lovely. Though it's for tonight's dinner, I made it this afternoon to take advantage of the daylight for the "photo shoot". I'm going to have a difficult time staying out of it over the next few hours. Here's the goods:

Carrots and Currants
Makes 2-4 servings
  • 3 cups finely shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup currants or raisins (I used raisins)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dill
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons nama shoyu
  • 2 teaspoons flax oil
Toss carrots with currants or raisins, walnuts, parsley, dill, nama shoyu, and flax oil until well coated. Serve on a pretty lettuce leaf for a delectable presentation.

2 comments:

jessy said...

hey Marni! i'm going to have to pick up some carrots later this week and give it a shot! i love me some currants, too! mmmmm! we must be on the same wavelength with the raw salads 'cause this evening i made some raw coleslaw as a snack for tomorrow. your carrots & currants salad sounds awesomely raw & freak'n tasty!

Marni said...

Yay! We must have dipped our toes in the vegan river of thought at the same time. I *love* raw veggie salads and slaws like this. Especially when it's hot like it has been these last few days where I live. I'm always on the hunt for good recipes that won't heat up my kitchen ... or me! This one's a keeper.