Sunday, March 2, 2008

CSAs

I have a lovely herb garden, but have mused a few times about starting my own vegetable garden, recently. I've even had a most excellent offer from a neighbor to do the communal garden thing on their property. But since then, I haven't even had time to talk to my husband about said garden. The lack of free time leads me to conclude that if we don't even have time to talk about a garden, we certainly wouldn't have time to take care of one. I mean, it makes sense, right?

It was about at this point in my thinking that I remembered reading Grub a few months ago. It's a fabulous read, by the way. Full of information about the far-reaching impact of our food choices along with ideas for going organic, lots of awesome recipes, and more. It's hip and engaging and also quite motivating.

Anyhow, one of the things the authors of Grub suggest you do is conduct what they call a Community Audit. This is exactly what it sounds like, with the ultimate goal of discovering community resources for living and eating, green, local, fresh, and healthy.

So, I conducted my own community audit and discovered, among many other resources, that we have an organic CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) that produces veggies, fruit, herbs, and flowers year-round. Score! So, I've sent an email to the CSA coordinator and am anxiously awaiting an answer back.

No comments: