I altered the Warm Lentil and Rice Salad over Wilted Mesclun recipe on page 36 of the November/December 2007 issue of Vegetarian Times again. The first time I altered it, I came up with Indian Lentils and Tofu with Rice. This time, it was more like Southern-Style Lentils and Shrooms with Rice. And in case you were wondering ... yeah ... naming these recipes is almost as much fun as coming up with them.
Southern-Style Lentils and Shrooms with Rice
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6-oz. package LightLife Organic Smoky Tempeh Strips (aka Fakin' Bacon), chopped
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms - cleaned, stemmed, and sliced about 1/3 of an inch thick
- 1 tablespoon Italian Herb Seasoning
- 1 cup green French lentils, rinsed and picked over
- ½ cup white basmati rice
- 2 ½ cups veggie broth
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and Fakin' Bacon and sautĂ© 5-7 minutes or until onions are soft. Add Italian Herb Seasoning and mushrooms and gently stir to incorporate. Place lid on skillet and cook about 3 minutes until mushrooms release moisture. Stir in lentils, rice, and 2 ½ cups veggie broth. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender. If needed, season with salt and pepper once more.
I served this deliciousness on slices of toasted flat bread for a yummie hot dinner on this cold and rainy winter night.
I took food porn pics, but I still haven't resolved my driver issue. Bummer. I used my cute plates tonight, too.
Try this recipe! Maybe your vegan guides will begin whispering in your ear. If they do, send me your version of this recipe. It's a good 'un!
No comments:
Post a Comment