Saturday, January 19, 2008

French White Bean and Cabbage Soup

Of all the recipes I've made from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, this one is my favorite so far. It was easy to put together, very low in fat, quite tasty, and didn't require a flurry of chopping or other cooking just before serving (some of the other recipes in this book do - kinda takes the fun out of crock pottery). No, this is a true slow cooker recipe - I dropped the ingredients in the pot and dinner was ready 8 hours later. It's also a great basic recipe, and will lend itself nicely to altering or enhancement at some point in the future.

The soup called for Liquid Smoke, which I couldn't find at two different stores, so we substituted Frontier Bac'Uns because they are quite smoky and pretty damn tasty.

We enjoyed this recipe with giant salads and fresh French bread. The French theme of the meal moved me to pay verbal homage to one of my favorite 80s flicks, Better Off Dead. C'mon, say it with me now...

Fraunch Bread.

Fraunch Soup.

I want my two dollars!

No comments: