Friday, December 7, 2007

First Strike

My eeevil plan to recruit my husband into the ranks of veganism has begun! :::insert wicked laugh here::: Yesterday, I made Alton Brown's Granola, which is one of those accidentally vegan recipes. And for dinner last night, I made the Warm Lentil and Rice Salad over Wilted Mesclun listed on page 36 of the November/December 2007 issue of Vegetarian Times. So, when he got home from work last night, there was a huge bowl of still-warm granola on the counter and the house smelled of sautéed onion and warm cumin. Mmmmmmm.

I didn't serve the lentils and rice over mesclun because I couldn't find any at the store. I did get some regular mixed greens for the occasion, but we both opted for a big salad with warm rice and lentils on the side, instead. We thought the lentils and rice were the yum and as we ate, we discussed ideas on other ways to enjoy the recipe ... in pita bread ... with hunks of tofu sautéed with the onions and cumin ... with big slices of mushrooms ... nice. I was so happy to hear him get excited about vegan food!

The granola was a big hit, too. He actually didn't know you could "make" granola and kept asking me questions like, "How did you make it sweet?" and "How'd you get it so crunchy?" So cute. It's a great basic recipe and I'm thinking about tinkering with it a bit, maybe adding some cinnamon and replacing the raisins with dried cranberries, and giving it as Yule gifts.

Unfortunately, I didn't remember to take any pictures, but that's one of my goals with this blog. I'll try to remember to do that tonight.

1 comment:

SSondra said...

I must say that your Vegan granola was the BEST Yule fuel that you have ever given me!! I swear I packed on 5 pounds at the holidays just because of that :) Do you make a low fat version??? xoxo