Thursday, December 6, 2007

And So it Begins

Up until a few weeks ago, I was a happy meat-eater. What happened?

Let me start with a confession: I was a vegetarian several years ago, for nearly five years, but I returned to eating meat and even fell into the "Low Carb" carnivorous craze. But in July of 2007 I started spiritual training with T. Thorn Coyle and began exploring concepts like kala (living it, not just doing it), reclaiming my power, and choosing to move towards self-possession. Once I started doing this work, I became aware of my choices - made and not made - and the impact all that had on me and the people around me. A lot of my poor choices had to do with the way I was eating, but I still wasn't anywhere near going veg.

That specific journey started a couple months ago when I picked up a copy of Skinny Bitch. Despite it's sarcastic title and tone, it's actually a decent examination of the impact of our food choices. I was horrified. Prior to that, I'd been relatively ignorant of the atrocities on factory farms and in slaughter houses.

From there I found Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's enlightening Vegetarian Food for Thought podcast and her Compassionate Cooks website.

A few days later, I was channel-surfing and stumbled across the HBO documentary I Am An Animal: The Story of Ingrid Newkirk and PETA. There was a one-minute montage in it showing footage from slaughterhouses that literally turned my stomach. After that things happened very fast. I immediately hopped on the PETA website. From there, I linked to GoVeg.com and watched the film, Meet Your Meat. Ugh.

It was then, November 27, 2007, that I signed the 30 Day Pledge to be Veg.

Amidst all this, I've purchased Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson and The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I've also started to read Grub by Anna Lappe and Bryant Terry, which I had already purchased a month or two ago.

What does it all mean, so far?

I'm not sure yet, but here are the thoughts rolling around my head:

  • I don't want to contribute to the needless suffering of animals.

  • I want to get healthy.

  • I want to do what I can to better the environment.

  • I want to eat simple.

  • I want to make energetically responsible food choices.

  • I don't want to be a food dogmatist.

  • I want to be more connected to the food I eat.

  • I want to make food choices that are sustainable.


  • I named this blog La Vegan Loca because I believe I'll be taking the Vegan plunge soon -- perhaps after the first of the new year. I've already started transitioning to vegan meals at home and have been experimenting with vegan products and recipes for the past couple weeks. My husband, who isn't very enthusiastic about going vegetarian or vegan, has told me that he's "along for the ride," so I have his sorta-kinda support. He calls me "Gringita Loca," so La Vegan Loca seems perfect.

    As far as what's going into this blog, I'm not 100% sure, yet. I'm envisioning personal reflections and insights, experiences, recipes, and resources I discover as I embrace a vegan lifestyle and start eating kala (clean).

    That's all for now.

    More to come.

    2 comments:

    Charlie - hope & spray said...

    Hi Marni! I just stumbled upon your blog because I am planning to make banana-chocolate-chip bread pudding tonight! I read through the entire thing, and it is GREAT!! You have a wonderful flair for writing about food so I can't wait to read more. Also, I'm a fellow SD vegan, so let me know if you have any questions!

    Marni said...

    Hi Charlie! For some reason, I didn't get notification of these earlier comments. I'm just finding them now. Anyhow, I'm glad you've found my blog and I hope you are still enjoying it. I'm hoping to meet some other local vegans soon, because everyone I know is an omni.