Friday, December 28, 2007

Agedashi Tofu

Friday is always movie and take-out night. Tonight's movie: Death Proof. Tonight's take-out: Japanese. One of my favorites is Agedashi Tofu.

What is it? I'm glad you asked. It's tofu, usually cut into cubes and dusted with potato starch or cornstarch and then deep fried. It's usually served with tentsuyu broth, which is not vegan, and topped with chopped negi (a sort of onion) or daikon (a kind of radish). You can easily get it without the tentsuyu broth, as shown above, and it's just as tasty. But you should always ask what comes with it, as various restaurants serve it with different toppings and dipping sauces. I've had it served to me topped with fish eggs. Surprise! And so not vegan. I order mine with a couple veggie rolls and it's heaven.

No, deep-fried tofu is not very healthy. Yes, it takes a bit of effort to ensure it comes 100% vegan. But it sure is yummy and even vegans need to get naughty every now and then.

No comments: