Monday, July 5, 2010

Veggie Quiche


Vegan Veggie Quiche
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
We went to a neighborhood party on Saturday night. One of those laid back events where everyone brings food to share and their own main course to throw on the communal barbeque. One of the side dishes was a delicious mix of veggies - mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, garlic and other veggie goodness all sautéed in some olive oil with salt and pepper. Simple. Rustic. Fantastic. We piled our veggie burgers high with the stuff.

Towards the end of the night, I was lending some help in the kitchen on clean-up duty. Bridgette, the woman who made the veggies, packaged up the leftovers and asked if I could use them. I had been wanting to try my hand at making a vegan quiche for quite some time, and thought the veggies would make a perfect filler. So, I happily took them home, promising I'd give them new life the next day.

I used the two recipes for quiches in Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz as a guideline, but I basically improvised my quiche as I threw it together. I was smart enough to take notes, though (this time). And I'm glad I did because it came out better than I ever could have imagined it would. Now, not only can I recreate it in all its quiche-y goodness, but I can share it with you! :::grin:::

Veggie Quiche
makes one 9" pie - eight slices

The structure of this quiche is designed to make use of veggie leftovers, but you can always make the whole thing fresh, from scratch.
  • 3 cups leftover, cooked veggies (whatever you've got on hand)
  • 2/3 cup raw, unsalted cashews
  • 1 lb. firm tofu, squeezed & drained
  • 3 fresh sage leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme (leaves removed from stems)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 9" whole wheat pie crust (from the frozen foods section) - or make your own pie crust if that's how you role
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Pulse the cashews in a food processor until you have fine crumbs.
  3. Break the tofu up into chunks and add it to the cashew crumbs. Add the sage, thyme, turmeric and nutritional yeast. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of your food processor as needed.
  4. Add one cup of your leftover veggies to the tofu mixture and pulse a few times to incorporate, but not obliterate the veggies.
  5. Empty contents of food processor into mixing bowl along with remaining 2 cups of leftover veggies. Fold all ingredients together until well incorporated.
  6. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
  7. Pour mixture into frozen pie crust and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until center of quiche is firm and the edges are are starting to brown.
  8. Allow the quiche to sit for 15-30 minutes before slicing and eating.
Quiche is one of those dishes that serves as a fantastic breakfast, lunch, or dinner. We enjoyed ours as part of our 4th of July dinner along with roasted asparagus, mashed potatoes smothered in Mighty Miso Gravy from How it All Vegan! and oven-roasted corn on the cob.

For dessert we had Whole wheat, Fat-Free Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins - a recipe from the Happy Herbivore. They were amazing! Easy to put together, incredibly aromatic and insanely delicious, especially for how healthy they were. I'll definitely be making those again!

As for the quiche, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I look forward to experimenting with different kinds of leftover veggies and various fresh herbs from my garden. I hope you enjoy it, too!

5 comments:

Erin said...

I loooove vegan quiche. Yours looks perfect!

dreaminitvegan said...

Nice score on the left over veggies from the bbq. Quiche's are one of my fav's too. So rustic like you said and I can't believe how thick it is. I like that cashews are added, I'm sure that gives it more of a richer flavor.

Marni said...

Erin,
Thanks so much!

dreaminitvegan,
Thank you! I love quiche, too. And you're right, the cashews add a richer flavor and creamier consistency. Yum!

KL Grady said...

I've had this quiche at Casa Marni. It was tasty.

I made it here in mini-quiche form (crustless in support of a gluten-free guest) with sauteed shrooms and spinach, and I also added a little smidge of Daiya.

Do not do what I did. The crust really rounds out the taste and texture both, so the quiches were definitely lacking there. But the spinach and shrooms in the wee dollops of turmeric-yellow?

It looked like goose shit. No joke.

So I know this tastes great. They baked up fine in the mini muffin pan I have (same temp, about 20 minutes), and they tasted fine. But they didn't taste stellar like the crust version does, and they looked very unappetizing.

I'll do this again, but I'll tell the GF guests to nom the salad instead (crust ahoy!), and I'll leave out spinach or any long, leafy green veg that might give the quiches the look of avian excrement. In fact, I will probably go full-size muffin tin next time.

Latharia said...

Yay! I found you again! :) Your recipes look super yummy! :D