Friday, January 16, 2009

Fat-Free Chunky Spaghetti Sauce with Fat-Free Roasted Garlic

My apologies for being MIA yesterday (Friday), I was completely derailed by a horrible headache. But I'm back today (headache's mostly gone) and will be post-dating my dinner posts for Friday and adding some wonderful dessert posts for today.

My first offering is a completely fat-free, super chunky spaghetti sauce that is quick and easy to make since it relies on canned veggies. I've adapted it from Vegetarian Times Low-Fat and Fast, but made several major changes to it making it even better. It's packed with flavor due to the tomato paste, artichoke hearts, balsamic reduction, and my discovery of a fat-free method for roasting garlic, of which I used a entire head. Best of all is the calorie and fat counts - they're so low, it's a zero Weight Watchers points sauce!

Fat-Free Chunky Spaghetti Sauce
Serves: 10 (1/2-cup servings)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1 14.5 ounce can artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
  • 2 TBSP capers, drained
  • 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
  • 1 head Fat-Free Roasted Garlic (see below)
  • 2 TBSP balsamic reduction (or balsamic vinegar if you don't have any reduced, just know the flavor won't be as intense)
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. In a 3-quart saucepan, cook chopped onion in 1/4 cup of water over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally 'til onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
  2. Stir in diced tomatoes, chopped artichoke hearts, 1 cup of water, tomato paste, capers, and brown sugar and mix well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
  3. While the sauce is simmering, use the back of a spoon and mash the cloves of one head of Fat-Free Roasted Garlic (see below) with the skins removed with the balsamic reduction in a small bowl, making a paste. When the sauce has only a few minutes left to cook, stir paste in to incorporate. Serve over hot, al-dente pasta (preferably whole wheat).
If you'd like it less chunky, carefully process a portion of or all of the sauce in a blender or food processor. I like it chunky, though.  Chunks are cool.

Other ideas for serving: try this sauce on spaghetti squash, polenta, baked potato, rice, or other cooked grains.

This sauce has no saturated fat or cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C and Manganese.

Per serving (sauce only, without pasta):
  • 40 calories, 2 calories from fat, 0g fat, 0g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 9g carbs, 3g fiber, 4g sugars, 2g protein
  • eGL: 3
  • Weight Watcher Points: 0

Non-Fat Roasted Garlic
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
My newfound method for roasting garlic isn't technically fat free, but it uses trace amounts of fat so that it ends up being virtually fat free. Normally, when I roast garlic, I take a whole head, cutting the pointy end off and exposing all the cloves, pour a tablespoon of olive oil down inside, and roast away. This method breaks the cloves apart and employs the use of non-stick cooking oil instead. It takes less time and cuts the fat out of the equation. Here's how I did it:

Fat-Free Roasted Garlic
  • 1 or 2 heads of garlic, cloves separated but paper left in tact
  • non-stick cooking spray (like canola or olive oil)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Spread your garlic cloves out on a 1/4-sheet baking pan covered with foil. Lightly spray them with cooking spray and season them as desired, shaking the pan to evenly distribute it all.
  3. Cook in the oven until cloves are roasted, but still soft, about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them and do not let them get hard or over-roasted (aka burned and petrified).

4 comments:

Jeni Treehugger said...

I LOVE a chunky Spag Bol!
This looks YUMMY!

Courtney said...

I just discovered your blog and I am loving reading through the posts! Thank you for them!

I have a question--the spaghetti sauce looks great, but in the directions you say to add the tomatoes, yet in the recipe ingredients, you only call for tomato paste. I am assuming it also calls for a can of diced tomatoes? What size? 14.5 oz or 28 oz?

Thanks!
Courtney

Marni said...

Jeni Treehugger: Me too, my dear! Thank you.

Hi Courtney! Thanks *so much* for pointing out the omission. Often times, I'm typing these things up super fast with my 4-year-old hanging off my leg. :) I've corrected the recipe, but yes - I used a 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes.

Courtney said...

Thanks so much! I am going to make it this week!

Courtney