Monday, January 5, 2009

Canned Comfort

So far, 2009 has not been a party. First thing New Year's day, we got a call from our neighbor informing us The Husband's truck had been broken into. The thief smashed the window and stole a lot of auto equipment and tools, none of which will be covered by insurance.

The rocky start to the day coupled with dealing with police and insurance agents just threw off our whole plan to enjoy the long weekend and we've felt rushed and out of sync since. I haven't posted my resolutions yet and I had some changes I wanted to make to this blog that I haven't completely parsed out because I haven't had the time.

And to add a layer of sadistic icing to my pity party cake, I spent the morning in the dentist's chair for root planing. I'll spare you the details but the end result is I'm sore from the injections and want nothing more than a little quiet and TLC. But, I'm a stay-at-home mom, so that'll have to wait. Once my face stopped feeling like a balloon, I did end up settling for something comforting to eat instead.

Can I just get a little amen for canned soup?

I started poking around inside my cabinet and saw several cans of Amy's organic soups and breathed an audible sigh of relief. While my soup was heating, I decided to treat myself to a little fine dining experience and broke out the table cloth which totally needs to be ironed, but that's so not happening today.

I also felt I needed flowers to round out my lunch. So I grabbed the empty can and headed out to my herb garden. A fistful of lavender completed the scene and I was eating (gingerly) and happy.

I'll get back to my normal blogging schedule and announce the exciting changes (at least they're exciting to me) I'm making here very soon, I promise. But for now, I'm going to sit down, put my feet up, and read.

I hope everyone had a happy New Year!  If you didn't, things can only get better.  That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.  

6 comments:

Ricki said...

So sorry that 2009 started off so crummy! Hope the tooth heals up soon. The flowers were lovely, though :) (oh, and here it is for Amy's: Amen.)

Sal said...

ah that's horrible - some people are just scum! And poor you - anything dental related gives me the jeebies - I hate the dentist.

Hurrah for tinned soup when there's nothing else in for dinner!

jessy said...

things can get better - you're right, Marni! and they will, too! that really sucks that someone broke into your husband's truck. a**holes! argh! i'd also like to add in a supersadface on the dental stuff. ouch!

hooray for some tasty canned soup of deliciousness and the lovely flowers. :) i hope you're feeling better fast!

i'm excitedface about your next post too - and i wish you a happy new year! hugs to you, my friend!

Hannah said...

Oh I hear you... Canned soup is a life-saver in this house! My favorite is Amy's vegetable and barley right now. :)

Hope things will start looking up for you very soon!

allularpunk said...

oh, marni! i'm sorry your year has started out so poorly. you are right - it can only get better! good luck sorting everything out and healing from your ouchy tooth ordeal. amen for canned soups indeed. they save my lunch from time to time. it's just one of those things that you must have in your cupboard - just in case. also, i missed your last post, but those wee cranberry upside down cakes look awesome! and are so adorable!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

And that's is why I love having emergency food.
Hope you feel better soon.