Friday, November 28, 2008

Our First Vegan Thanksgiving

I've been so sick lately and was afraid I wasn't going to be able to cook my own first vegan Thanksgiving. But alas, my cold abated just enough for me to get to the store the day before Thanksgiving for supplies to cook a lovely meal for my sweetie and me. For our main course I made Stuffed Acorn Squash. For side dishes I made Green Bean Casserole and Cornbread Pudding.


Stuffed Acorn Squash
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
The stuffed squash was an original recipe (I'm so proud!) and so delicious. I stuffed my little beauties with mustard greens, toasted pecans, millet, and more. So tasty and a really beautiful presentation.


Green Bean Casserole
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
The Green Bean Casserole was made from all fresh ingredients - no can opener needed! I even toasted up my own onions. The mushroom gravy was delicious beyond compare and the fresh green beans maintained their integrity, offering up a lovely snap when eaten.


Cornbread Pudding
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
The Cornbread Pudding was divine. Di. Vine. It was everything that's good about bread pudding and more. Creamy, comforting, rich, warm, spicy, sweet, and savory. I'm getting all Pavlovian just thinking about it right now.


Pecan Pie
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
After we ate, we packed up and joined my parents and great-grandma at my parents' home for dessert. My dad took his first crack at vegan cooking and made a pecan pie. It wasn't an overwhelming success, but it was good and we really appreciated the effort he took to accommodate our way of eating. Thus far, it's the first culinary olive branch they've extended to us since our going vegan, so it was great progress.

I also made a dessert, but you'll to have wait 'til tomorrow to read about it.

It was a wonderful Thanksgiving and the first in what I'm sure will be many explorations into vegan harvest cooking. I hope your holiday was grand.

And now ... time to hang holiday lights. Hooray!

10 comments:

michelle said...

Ohhh, that stuffed squash looks devine!

KL Grady said...

Not a fan of pecan pie, but this still looked awesome. I bet y'all are going to be noshing leftovers for a week...if you can restrain yourselves. ;) Not sure I could. LOL

Marni said...

Michelle - Thanks! It came out sooo good!

KL - Pecan Pie = not my fav either. The Father was totally baking that for The Husband (big shocker). As for the leftovers, I cleverly portioned everything out so we only had one meal's worth. Gone! w00t! My waistline is rejoicing.

allularpunk said...

awesome! congrats on your first vegan thanksgiving :)

Princess-R-Us said...

Marni, everything looks amazing! I'm glad you're feeling better. :)

jessy said...

that's too sweet of your dad to make you all a vegan pecan pie! aw! mustard greens, toasted pecans & millet - all stuffed in a squash = the best idea ever! WHY do i keep forgetting to pick up mustard greens! argh! i need to grabbed some next time i see 'em! corn bread pudding looks & sounds freak'n amazing! i'm totally going to have to find a recipe - oh my gosh! DROOL! :D

i can't believe you made everything for the green bean casserole from scratch! damn, Marni - you rock! :D glad you cold held off for a bit and let you make all the fabulous foods. mmmmmmmmmmmm! everything looks so fabulous, Marni! congrats on such a tasty success!

Marni said...

Allularpunk - Thanks, chica!

Princess-R-Us - Thank you dahling! I'm still sick (if you can believe it) but feeling better every day now.

Jessy - Thanks! I'm actually working on putting little recipe collections or packets together and my Thanksgiving recipes will be one. I'll be sure to post about it when/if I ever get them done.

tofufreak said...

mmmm.. yummy~ especially to the pie :D

Jeni Treehugger said...

It all looks amazing but I especially LOVE the stuffed Squash!
YUM!

Marni said...

tofufreak: LOL Thanks!

Jeni TreeHugger: Thank you, my dear. The stuffed squash rocked.