Monday, October 6, 2008

MoFo 6: Moonshine Monday


Home Liqueur Kit
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
Okay, admittedly, the title for this post is a wee bit misleading. First of all, I'm not going to cover how to make moonshine. It's illegal and I wouldn't know what to tell you even if it weren't. And secondly, it's not really Monday. I'm postdating this because I meant to put it up yesterday, but I got sidetracked.

I'm calling it Moonshine Monday because it's a joke around our house that our broom closet is really The Moonshine Closet. On any given day one can open the door and find jar after jar of colorful liqueurs in varying stages of development.

I hope to cover a different aspect of homemade liqueurs and cordials every Monday this month. This is my first offering and it's meant to give you an idea of the sorts of hardware you need if you're going to try your hand at crafting flavored booze and the like.

If you click on the photo, it'll take you to my Flickr page, where there are little notes magically hovering over and explaining each item in this photo. You don't need everything shown here nor do you need as much. Basically, you need:
  • aging containers - I use half-gallon mason jars
  • strainers like a fine wire mesh strainer, cheesecloth or paper coffee filters
  • a few miscellaneous items that make things easier and you probably already have, like: wood spoon with long handle, measuring cups, measuring spoons, funnel, paper and tape for making labels, and a cool dark place for the magic to happen
Plus, of-course, you'll need booze, fruit or other flavoring agents, sugar, spices, and whatever other ingredients your recipe might call for.

If you are interested in getting into liqueur-crafting, I'd also recommend you get a book or two with techniques and proven recipes. Also, if you are going to give your liqueurs as gifts, I'd suggest you get a length of refrigerator tubing to siphon your liqueurs so they have a crisp, clean, sediment-free look to them when they are finished.

Making liqueurs and cordials is really fun and exceptionally easy. I bring a bottle of my yuletide liqueur to a holiday party I attend every year as an offering to the cut-throat gift exchange game. You know, the one where participants draw numbers to "steal" gifts from each other. My liqueurs alway create a stir. It's great fun.

More to come on this! Woohoo ... Moonshine Mondays!

5 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

I'm excited to read more!! My husband likes to make his own beer and wine so maybe I'll have to try my hand at flavored liqueurs so I can participate!

Liz said...

This sounds great! I love making my own soda, but have never tried doing flavored liquors. It'd be a handy thing to have around for adding to desserts, ice creams, etc. Can't wait to see the next "monday" post!

jessy said...

hoooooooooooray for moonshine mondays, Marni! oh my gosh - i can't wait! i'm heading over to your Flickr account after i leave this comment. if making booze = fun + easy - sign me up!

mondays are gonna be glorious! wheeeeeeee!

Princess-R-Us said...

Oh Marni!!! I'm so excited for Moonshine Mondays. I LOVE your homemade liqueurs!!! I can't wait to get started. What a great gift idea. :) xoxo

Marni said...

Vegan Noodle - Making liqueurs and flavored vodkas and such is *so* much easier than crafting beer and wine. I hope you give it a try!

Liz - Oooo, I've never made my own soda before. I'd be interested in knowing more about that.

Jessy - MoFo Mondays will be glorious, indeed! I'm having so much fun with this.

Princess-R-Us - Yay! They make fantastic gifts. I hope you try it. We can even make some together, if you like.