Thursday, June 19, 2008

From Mango Mangler to Mango Miracle


Mango Splitter
Originally uploaded by Marni Molina
When I heard about this little gadget that takes all the fuss out of splitting mangoes, I was both dubious and curious. I tend to make a huge mess slicing mango and end up feeling like I waste a lot of the yummy fruit trying to avoid the pit in the center.

So, when I spied the splitter in Target a few days ago, I couldn't resist. I mangled my first two mangos with it, but once I got the hang of it, I fell in love.

The trick is to figure out which way the seed runs by looking at the mango and line the slicer up accordingly. Then, stand the mango up and slice. It's so easy!

The Mango Splitter from OXO runs about $12.00 and for me, was totally worth it.

Also, I found this handy video showing how to slice a mango both by hand and with a splitter. Enjoy!

3 comments:

jessy said...

that sounds so cool! i too feel like i waste a lot of the mango when i try cutting one up - it stinks! and i get all sadfaced 'cause i don't have as much fruit as i thought i would. i think i may have to invest in that gadget! actually, i need a mandolin slicer thingy, too. perhaps i shall get both! yay!

Marni said...

I love my mandolin. It's one of those kitchen gadgets that you don't really use all the time (like you do a food processor) but when you do, it rocks. Makes slicing so easy.

Vegyogini said...

I got one of those mango pitters for my birthday and I love it! Glad it's made your life easier, too. :)