I based it on this recipe with a few modifications and additions. You can really taste the tahini, which I think is kinda fun. Anyhow, here's how I made it:
The day before making the cake, candy the peels of 4 lemons.
The day of, maketh the caketh thusly...
- 1 store-bought vegan graham cracker crust
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons corn starch dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons low-fat vanilla oat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and flip the switch until smooth. Pour the mixture (ours was quite thick and we employed the aid of a spatula to get it all out of the blender) into the crust and bake until the top is slightly brown - about 30 minutes.
- When the cake is done, allow to cool on the countertop. When able, put it in the refrigerator to cool at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, top with sliced, fresh strawberries, candied lemon peel, and whipped soy topping.
But for a first crack at this recipe, I think it came out really good ... and it's pretty, too!