Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Chickpea Cutlets with Rice and Mighty Miso Gravy

Tonight's dinner was all about comfort food.
  
I prepared Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon with steamed Jasmine rice and smothered it all in Mighty Miso Gravy from How it All Vegan!
  
  
My cutlets weren't near as nice looking as those pictured in Veganomicon, but now that I've made them once, I'm sure I can do better next time.  The Husband and I both loved the cutlets, even though I overcooked them.  I deviated from the recipe a bit and briefly pan fried them and finished them off in the oven.  Unfortunately, the timer for them went off while I was making the Mighty Miso Gravy and I forgot about them.  But the flavor was delish and they were just a little crunchy around the edges.  
   
Next time, I'll mash the chickpeas even more for a smoother texture since as I was kneading and shaping the cutlets, wee bits of chickpea were falling off onto the counter and the floor.  My dog thought it was great, but I'd prefer to keep all the food where it belongs.  To remedy this, I may just go at them with a stick blender next time.
  
As a side note, I think the Chickpea Cutlets topped with the Mighty Miso Gravy tasted about close to Chicken Fried Steak as any vegan could ever care to get.  It was fabulous.  I'm also thinking I may be able to use this recipe to make chickpea nuggets for my son.  

Fabulous recipes.  Fabulous dinner.

No comments: