Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Snarky Crock Pot

My favorite Snarky Navy Wife sent me a fantabulous crock pot recipe that I tried the other night with great success. What's even better is that this recipe was channeled by the Snarkster herself. I tweaked it just a bit to give it a Moroccan flair, but really you can season it however you like.



Now, I know it's not a real pretty dish to look at, but it sure does taste fantastic!

The Recipe:

  • 2 leeks
  • 3 cloves garlic (I used 6 ... mmm ... gaaaarlic)
  • 1 tsp(ish) oil (I used peanut oil)
  • Splash Bragg’s

Sauté together. Throw in the crock pot and add:

  • 1-2 Tbsp seasoning (I used 1 Tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp curry, 1 tsp Moroccan coriander)
  • 1 cup red lentils; rinsed and picked over
  • 1 cup basmati rice
  • 2 ¾ cups broth
  • 2 cans (16oz) garbanzo beans

Cook on high for 1-2 hours. Add:

  • 1 package firm tofu, cubed
  • 1 package sliced mushrooms

Cook on high for 30 minutes.

This took a lot longer in her crock pot than it did in mine, so use your best judgment. If you have a newer crocker, like I do, keep an eye on it or cook it longer on the low setting. If you have a vintage crocker, like The Snarkster does, it may take 3-4 hours on the high setting.

I served mine with fresh, hot pita bread and we nommed on it for several days. Don't forget you can completely change the flavor of the dish by playing with the seasonings you use. Winner!

No comments: